Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Gathering Moss or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Rolling Stones

I admit it: I was wrong. I am quite often wrong, so this isn’t a major life event, but it’s still somewhat significant. Like most people, I have a set of biases and prejudices that I scarcely know from whence they came or why they continue to exist. Yet they do persist and affect my behaviors even when logic and reason indicate they should be discarded and left for dead. It just happens. For most all of my life, I have held hateful feelings towards something I hardly knew, something so established amongst the pantheon of greats that even the suggestion that I wasn’t enamored of this thing would surely bring disdain and disapproval on me and my kin. This thing of which I speak is none other than the rock and roll band known as The Rolling Stones. So maybe this sounds crazy, but really, for someone who has obsessed over rock artists ranging from The Beach Boys to Bad Brains, Sonic Youth to Sleigh Bells, Nick Drake to Nosferatu D2, you figure I would have made some time for one of the biggest and most renowned rock bands that ever existed. But I just didn’t.

If you grew up as I did, long after the door had closed on the 1960s and 70s, millions of blog years after those time periods had been analyzed, picked over, regurgitated, rehashed, and reformulated, then you likely don’t have the same feelings towards those decades as people who lived through them. Becoming a sentient, music-discovering person in the late 1990s, I viewed the music and culture from those time periods with the same kind of cold detachment most people assume when reading about the Thirty Years’ War. Sure, I knew the ‘60s and ‘70s weren’t all that long ago and I knew my parents and grandparents had been alive then, but the way it was all portrayed—as a mix of war protests, free-loving hippies, oil crises, disco, punk—were as foreign and unfamiliar to me in my suburban mind as any protracted battle on the fields of Germany in the Seventeenth Century. Of course, as I grew older and gathered more knowledge about history, it became easier to see the connections between the time I was living in and the time just before I was alive, but that took wisdom that only age can provide.

To say that I was detached from everything from before I existed would not be fair: I’d basically been a fan of the Beach Boys since birth. I grew into a fascination of the Beatles, and went through the requisite young-American-male-obsessing-over-Led-Zeppelin phase. But pretty soon, all those concerns became quite minor once I entered high school and underwent the process of becoming a fan of ‘indie rock.’ I was convinced the golden age of music hadn’t been in the 1960s like everyone said, but rather in the just-ended 90s. I would begin, without even realizing it, to shape my view of musical development as beginning with the birth of punk rock and ending with whatever I was listening to at the time. This meant that Television, Minor Threat, the Pixies, Pavement, and the Unicorns were all fair game, but the Who, Boston, Def Leppard, and Jet were not. So I declared all of classic rock and its progeny to be dumb, simple, overplayed, and lifeless. And in truth, even today I can say that much of that music is terrible. I still tremble at the thought of being trapped in someone’s car and forced to hear “Carry on My Wayward Son” or “Feel Like Makin’ Love.”  Based on these selections alone, I feel I was pretty justified in trying to avoid classic rock altogether.

However, as I was dumping an entire era of rock n roll from my life, I didn’t realize I was missing gems that fell through the cracks. I did come to learn that David Bowie had some pretty good songs, and there were many merits to the Stooges, MC5, and even the Who. But one band I would never budge on, wouldn’t even dare speak their name even until a few weeks ago, was the Rolling Stones. This specific aversion was borne out of the fact that the band still somehow existed when I was in high school. Seeing people my age shelling out big bucks to witness what I could only then describe as decaying dinosaurs playing songs that I already heard on the bathroom radio five times a day seemed depressingly pathetic. The band appeared as nothing but an irrelevant anachronism that was being propped up by people who longed for ‘the good old days’ and threw their money at a set of senior citizens to ‘recapture the magic’ once again.


What I’ve mentioned thus far against the Stones is admittedly very superficial and has nothing to do with the actual music, but I’m sure I could have thrown around insults about their musical contributions too. The few songs I’d heard by them were all kind of schlocky or seemed like contrived aping of foot-stomping American music (“Honky Tonk Woman” really made my blood boil). But that was about all I had to offer as justification for thinking the worst of them. So, having finished high school having largely avoided the Stones, I was able to more easily do so in college as my musical preferences fell further into the indie abyss. And all that was good and well.

But, lo, things were not destined to remain that way forever.  Just a couple of months ago, just after a frighteningly aged Mick Jagger hosted Saturday Night Live, something changed. Out of the blue, I felt curious to listen to Exile on Main Street.  I’d heard about this album for some time and was at least able to acknowledge that it must be somewhat ‘good’ based on the fact that so many people with decent taste seemed to like it. So I fought back my old hang-ups and just listened, with an open mind, and actually really liked it. In fact, what really surprised me is that on their most highly lauded album, I’d only heard about one song previously. And all these songs were really enjoyable, and by virtue of being new to me, they didn’t possess the tired taint that so many of the overplayed radio-popular Stones tunes seemed to have. In short order I found myself listening to the album again. And again. And again. Then I realized I couldn’t get “Rocks Off” out of my head. So then I moved on to Sticky Fingers and I really liked that one too. And then I tried out Beggars Banquet and my reaction was the same. I was puzzled by the urge to ‘keep exploring’ this band. What had happened to me? What had happened to the brash soul who had so vehemently disavowed and denigrated this band for so many years? Had I really changed so much?

After taking a step back to ensure myself that I wasn’t undergoing some kind of existential crisis, I realized I was pretty okay with the fact I was starting to like the Stones. So I watched the documentary Gimme Shelter which follows the Stones on their 1969 tour of the United States which ended in a horrifying climax at the Altamont Free Concert in December of that year. (Trivia: three births and three deaths occurred at this festival, including, most famously, the stabbing of Meredith Hunter by a member of Hells Angels while the Stones were playing “Under My Thumb.”) The film, in spite of the violence, had some incredible footage of the band playing live. Even as I had listened to their records, I had not before considered the Rolling Stones to have actually existed and been composed of living, breathing people during the 1960s (“Sympathy for the Devil” seemed to have been looping on radio stations around the world since time immemorial). But this documentary startled me because the band at one time was made up of young people who were uneasy, frustrated, and really seeking and searching for love, sex, drugs, truth, satisfaction, etc. This experience was akin to how seeing pictures of your parents as teenagers can give you perspective on how they ‘aren’t that different from you’ after all. The Stones of that era were just regular people trying to figure it all out, not some immovable object or sterile institution that had been handed down from the heavens. The whole experience was a revelation. Finally, finally I felt broken of my old prejudice against a band that had no real basis, I can now recognize, in anything other than youthful ignorance.

Before I knew it, I was reading up all I could about the band on Wikipedia and listening to Let It Bleed late into the night. Now, as I write, I’m listening to the song “Sway” from Sticky Fingers and I feel quite satisfied. The song is soulful, forlorn, and agitated, yet it shuffles over welcoming piano chords and a guitar line full self-assured familiarity and calm.  When I hear it, I experience that feeling that simultaneously makes me want to sit in my room and write poetry all day and at the same time grow my hair out and run away forever (which is for me an indicator of great music). Perhaps this newfound obsession with the Rolling Stones is really just a symptom of maturity, or of aging, or of on the onset of senility. Whatever it is, I quite like it, and imagine it will continue—no matter how upset my 17-year-old self would be if he could see me now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment